The brumous winters are here and so are the skin woes. It’s no secret that winters make your skin dry, dehydrated and itchy. The reason being the lower ambient humidity and cold dry air in winters which makes the skin a little irritable.
Lucky are the ones, who have skin woes only during winters. Some of us suffer all year long. Everyone wants glowing, smooth skin, and I’m going to reveal one of my skin-care secrets.
The secret is Makhana or foxnuts. Let us explore more on this.
What are the benefits of makhana for skin?
1. Preserves skin moisture
The skin is your body’s largest organ, and it sheds cells on a continuous basis. Moisture in your skin aids in the continual healing of your skin. A good amount of moisture also helps in preventing a number of skin problems.
Lotus seeds or makhana contain a good amount of antioxidants and are also rich in fibre. Eating fibre rich foods help in preserving moisture and giving your skin a healthy glow.
2. Has anti-inflammatory properties
Skin Inflammation is caused when your immune system responds to a stimulus or trigger. Photosensitivity, allergic reactions and excess heat causes inflammation.
Makhana is reported to contain a flavonoid called kaempferol, which is a naturally occurring flavonoid which helps in reducing inflammation. It also has the ability to repair and heal wounded tissues.
3. Gives you younger and healthier skin
In today’s scenario, the pollution, the working style and the lifestyle people follow is taking a major toll on the health of skin. People shell out tons of money on cosmetics and treatments to restore their younger looking skin. Here is an easier solution- makhana
L-isoaspartyl methyltransferase, an anti-aging enzyme found in makhana, is thought to heal damaged skin cells and slow down the ageing process.
4. Helps in preventing acne and wrinkles
Acne and wrinkles are the unwanted guests masking your true beauty. Makhana is an astringent that not only cleanses but also tightens skin pores. As a result, makhana reduces the appearance of wrinkles while also removing dark spots from the face.
Makhana also contains omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamin A, and zinc which play a pivotal role in preventing acne.
In addition to these, makhana also helps in reducing pigmentation, improves skin elasticity and gives you a natural glow to the complexion.
How to use makhana for a healthier skin?
There are 2 ways makhana can be used to give you radiant skin. One is to directly consume them and the other is to use them in face packs. Let us explore both ways.
1. Diced carrot – 1
2. Diced beetroot – 1
3. Chopped cucumber – 1
4. Chopped tomato – 1
5. Pumpkin seeds – 1 tbsp
6. Black salt – as per taste
7. Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
8. Roasted makhana – half cup
1. Dry roast the makhana
2. Add all the vegetables in a bowl
3. Add pumpkin seeds, black salt and lemon juice to the bowl
4. Add roasted makhana and give it a good stir
1. Curd/Dahi/ Yogurt – 1 cup
2. Phool makhana – ½ cup
3. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
4. Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
5. Garam masala powder – pinch
6. Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
7. Chaat masala – ¼ tsp
8. Chopped green chilli – ½ tsp
9. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
10. Ghee – 2 tbsp
11. Salt – as per taste
1. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan.
2. Add Makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy, on low flame. Once it’s ready transfer into a bowl and allow it to cool.
3. Take curd and whisk it until it’s smooth and add all the other ingredients (red chilli, chaat masala, salt, green chilli, garam masala, cumin powder, pepper powder, chopped coriander leaves).
4. Refrigerate the mixture without adding Makhanas.
5. Add roasted makhanas 10 mins before serving.
You can try out these recipes and consume makhana frequently to gain all its benefits.
1. Take some lotus seeds and roast it in a pan over low flame.
2. After cooling down, grind it into fine powder.
3. Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 1 tablespoon of lotus seeds powder and mix well.
4. Apply this mixture on your acne prone area for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Wash with normal water.
6. For best results, apply this pack 3-4 times a week and Voila! Acne vanished!
1. Take fox-nuts in a bowl and add half a glass of milk to it.
2. Let it soak in milk for 2-3 hours until it gets soft.
3. After it becomes soft, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
4. Now grind the soaked fox nuts with 2-3 tablespoons of milk. Do not add all the milk used for soaking
5. Grind it until it becomes a paste that can be applied
Your anti- wrinkle pack is ready to use. Apply this pack twice a week for best results
Now that you have got your weapons to fight against the harsh winter weather, what are you waiting for? Visit our shop page and order makhanas to begin your winter skin regime.
Q: Is it possible to get rid of dry skin by using makhana?
A:Yes. Makhana is high in antioxidants and fibre, which helps to maintain moisture and prevents skin from drying out.
Q: Does makhana make your skin look younger?
A:Yes, makhana can aid to restore a healthy glow to your skin by healing damaged skin cells.
Q: How to use makhana for skin?
A: Makhana can be consumed orally to benefit the skin, and it can also be used in face packs.