Makhana / fox nut has protein, potassium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, iron and zinc. Makhana or Lotus Seed is a great snack to munch on between your meals or enjoy with your evening cup of tea.
Makhana by itself has no flavor or taste, but can easily adapt any flavor. With high nutritional value, makhana can be a great addition to your regular diet.
Nummy has a wide range of simple and quick Makhana recipes to satiate your cravings.These recipes are quick and easy and help in adding the right dose of nutrition in your daily diet. Use these recipes in your regular meal plan, tea time snacking, post lunch/dinner sweet cravings and also your midnight munchings.
Chocolate Makhana is a great option if you are a dessert lover and also like munching something sweet post lunch or dinner. It is a simple, quick, and easy recipe for chocolate lovers. This is an instant recipe for kids. It is perfect for a kiddie snack box or to satisfy your sweet cravings.
Roasted makhana- 1 cup
Ghee/Butter – 1 tbsp
Chocolate(Dark/Milk) – ¼ cup
Chopped cashews and almonds (optional) – 1tsp each
Dry roast the dry fruits until light brown.
Also, dry roast the makhanas until it turns crunchy and crispy.
In a bowl, take the cut pieces of chocolates and melt it using the double boiling technique. You can also melt in the microwave oven.
Add the roasted makhana, almonds, and cashews and give it a toss until it is well coated with the melted chocolate.
Spread the coated makhana over a greased plate and refrigerate for half an hour.
Makhana Milkshake is similar to any other milkshake. The goodness of makhana adds nutritional value to your milkshake and is best to have during summers. As makhana blends easily with any flavor, it would not only make your shake healthy but also gives an excellent texture to your milkshake.
Roasted Makhana – 8-10 pieces
Sugar – 1tbsp (optional as ice cream is used)
Chilled milk – 1 cup
Vanilla Ice Cream – 1 scoop
Almonds – 4
Cashews – 4
In a mixture jar take roasted makhanas, almonds, cashews, and grind it into fine powder.
Take a glass and put this powder and add chilled milk to it.
Finally, add a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream and serve!
You can replace sugar with jaggery or dates.
You can also avoid ice cream and add one chilled banana for thickness.
Aloo Makhana Pops is a delicious and easy snack made with boiled potatoes and Fox Nuts or Lotus Seeds popularly known as Makhana or Phool Makhana. It is quick and easy and suitable for kids’ lunchboxes or tea-time snacks.
Boiled potatoes – ½ cup
Makhana/ lotus seeds – 1 cup
Ghee – 1tsp
Salt to taste
Mint leaves finely chopped – 1tsp
Coriander leaves finely chopped – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Green chilli finely chopped – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
Jeera powder – ¼ tsp
Chaat masala – ¼ tsp (optional)
Pinch of garam masala (optional)
Lemon juice – ½ tsp
Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
Add makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy, on low flame. Once it’s ready, transfer it into a bowl.
In the same pan take 1tsp oil, cumin seeds, and green chillies and allow it to splutter and then add boiled potatoes along with the spice powders and salt. Let it roast for 2 mins.
Add roasted makhana and mix well.
Finally add coriander leaves, pudina leaves, and lemon juice.
Switch the flame off, make small grape size balls from the mixture, and serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
Makhana Kheer is a dessert that is often made during Mahashivratri, Navratri, and even during fasting. This kheer is similar to other kheers yet extremely delicious and healthy. Makhana kheer is super easy to prepare and a great treat to your taste buds.
Makhana ( Fox Nuts or Phool Makhana) – 4 cups
Milk – 1.5 Ltr
Grated/desiccated coconut – ½ cup
Cardamom powder — 2 tsp
10 -12 cashews or 10 -12 almonds – blanched and sliced
Raisins – 1tbsp
Condensed milk- 400gms (1tin)
A pinch of saffron (optional)
Ghee (clarified butter) – 2-3 tbsp
Take 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan and fry cashews and raisins until it turns golden brown. Keep these aside.
In the same pan, add makhanas and roast until it is crunchy. Keep it aside.
Blend 2/3rd of makhanas in a blender and keep it aside.
Heat milk and stir at intervals and let it come to a boil.
Add makhana powder into the milk and stir it for a minute and then add remaining whole roasted makhana into the mixture.
Add sweetened condensed milk, stir and cook for another 2 mins.
Add cardamom powder and saffron to the milk and keep stirring it for another 2 minutes.
Let it boil for another 8 – 9 mins until makhana softens and milk thickens.
Lastly, add the fried cashews and raisins.
You can serve it hot/warm/chilled as per your choice.
Are you a Kaju Katli Lover? If so then try Makhana Katli /Burfi which is equally delicious and adds variety to your regular sweet fare. Makhana Katli is a simple sweet delicacy that you can prepare within 10 mins.
1. Lotus Seeds (Makhana) – 2 cups
2. Ghee – 2½ tsps
3. Desiccated coconut – ½ cup
4. Sugar – ½ to 1 cup according to taste
5. Water – ½ cup
6. A pinch of green cardamom powder
7. Pista slices for garnish
1. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
2. Add makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy, on low flame. Once it’s ready, transfer it into a bowl and let it cool.
3. Blend roasted makhana in a blender separately into fine powder.
4. Add 1tsps ghee into a pan. Add makhana powder, desiccated coconut and mix on low/medium flame until it is slightly aromatic for 3 mins
5. In a separate pan, add sugar, water, and heat till it turns into a thick syrup.
6. Add the sugar syrup, green cardamom powder into the makhana powder pan and mix well. Cook till the mixture leaves the pan and turns slightly brown.
7. Grease a tray/plate with ghee on all sides. Transfer the mixture and spread it evenly.
8. Sprinkle pista flakes over the burfi and press gently. Makhana katli is ready!
Makhana Raita is one of the simplest Indian vegetarian dishes made with roasted makhana (puffed lotus seed/ fox nut) along with curd and some Indian spices.
Makhana Raita can be served with Pulao, Biryani and even Parathas. This is an easy and simple variation to the normal vegetable raita which we have regularly.
1. Curd/Dahi/ Yogurt – 1 cup
2. Phool makhana – ½ cup
3. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
4. Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
5. Garam masala powder – pinch
6. Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
7. Chaat masala – ¼ tsp
8. Chopped green chilli – ½ tsp
9. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
10. Ghee – 2 tbsp
11. Salt – as per taste
1. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan.
2. Add Makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy, on low flame. Once it’s ready transfer into a bowl and allow it to cool.
3. Take curd and whisk it until it’s smooth and add all the other ingredients (red chilli, chaat masala, salt, green chilli, garam masala, cumin powder, pepper powder, chopped coriander leaves).
4. Refrigerate the mixture without adding Makhanas.
5. Add roasted makhanas 10 mins before serving.
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil/ghee in a pan.
2. Add Makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy, on low flame. Once it’s ready transfer it into a bowl
3. In the same pan add 2tbsp of all the dry fruits(except raisins and pistachios) and roast it until golden brown and aromatic, on low flame.
4. In another pan, dry roast the dried coconut slices until aromatic.
5. Stir all the above, pistachios, raisins along with rock salt, black pepper, amchur powder until the Makhanas are well coated.
6. Serve it once it’s cool. You can store it in an airtight container for future use.
1. Heat oil/ghee in a pan.
2. Add Makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins until it becomes crunchy on low flame.
3. Add all the powders ( turmeric, amchoor, roasted jeera, red chilli, chaat masala, salt).
4. Stir well until the spices are well coated to the Makhanas.
5. In a bowl, put the chopped vegetables (onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves).
6. Add spiced makhana to the chopped vegetable bowl, add 2tsp of lemon juice and give it a toss.
7. Garnish with sev and pomegranate.
Your Makhana/FoxNut Chaat is ready!
1. You can also add green and tamarind chutney for enhancing the taste.
2. Roasted peanuts can also be a good addition.
Makhanas/ Fox Nuts can be a natural and nutritious addition to your regular diet. Caramelized Makhana is crunchy, sweet, and healthy. Kids and adults equally love this. Try it!
Cook time: 10 mins Serves: 2-3
Makhana – 2 cups
Jaggery – 3/4 th cup
Ghee/butter – 2-3 tbsp
Desiccated unsweetened Coconut – ½ cup(optional)
1. Heat t tbsp ghee/butter in a pan.
2. Add Makhana and roast it for 8-10 mins till it becomes crunchy, on low flame. In the same add desiccated coconut and cook for 1-2 mins and keep it aside.
3. On the other pan, take 1-2 tbsp of ghee and 3-4 tbsp of jaggery and heat on low flame until jaggery melts and starts to bubble.
4. Switch off the flame and add the roasted makhanas into the mixture. Stir well until the jaggery is coated well with the makhanas.
5. Cool it and store in an air-tight container.